Tuesday 1 December 2015

"Intolerance"

The purpose of this piece is solely to voice my solidarity with one and all who are standing up against the 'intolerance' being depicted in the nation. I am not apologetic of voicing my opinion now and I would not like to justify or clarify to anyone the merits or demerits of the timing chosen by me for voicing my opinion. Whether or not I had voiced my opinion in the past, what are my political inclinations and so on and so forth are nobody's concern. I am also not concerned with quantifying 'intolerance' and measuring whether it is 'rising' or 'falling'. I would also like to clarify that I do-not wish to qualify 'intolerance' with the adjective 'religious'. Castigating individuals for belonging to a particular educational institution which protested on certain issue, hurling abuses at an individual for voicing his opinions for the sole reason that he is a celebrity (forgetting that he is firstly an equal citizen of the nation) and his opinions don't coincide with yours and so on and so forth, are all examples of extreme 'intolerance'. And they will remain so irrespective of the political dispensation of the day, in a similar manner that 'Emergency' remains a shining example of extreme 'intolerance', irrespective of the political dispensation of the day. Out of the multifarious voices rising up today, some might be sane, others not, some might be sincere and genuine, others not, some might be well-intentioned, other not, but picking up all these, bundling them together and labelling them with rhetorical terms like 'politically motivated', 'anti-national' is actually quite hilarious, bordering on the insane. So, let us please not get gobbled up by paranoia and let some sense prevail....

No comments:

Post a Comment